Friday, October 2, 2009

Happy with my Facebook Vanity URL

Facebook single-handedly created a wave of cultural phenomenon by releasing vanity URL at 9:00pm last night.  Enthusiasts and geek-alike wait patiently and faithfully forgoing their Friday night rituals glued to their computer waiting for the countdown.  I have to admit, I was nervous and I had no strategies for picking a username.  It was going to be whatever was left over.  My palms were sweating and my head was already going over the alternatives that I could pick if Minna was taken.

Clock strikes 9:00 pm, I clumsily and nervously put in Minna to see if it’s available.  IT IS!!!  SET USERNAME!  Done done and done.  I am officially the only www.facebook.com/minna on Facebook.  According to Bloomberg.com, Facebook members registered new user names at a rate of more than 550 a second after the company offered people the chance to claim a personalized Web address.  According to Larry Yu, a spokesman for Palo Alto, California-based Facebook 345,000 people had claimed user names within the first seven minutes and after 15 minutes, 500,000 users had grabbed a name.

facebook_vanity_url

It was an exciting event, it was very much like waiting to see if your name is announced for a very important award.  I don’t remember being this excited even for my university graduation.  Geeks around the world were gathered at one URL at 9:00 pm Pacific time to grab their own Facebook vanity name,  I was part of this geek history.   Highlight of my week :)

Posted via email from minna's posterous