Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A stroll down Commercial Drive

After waking up super early to watch Germany beat England and then Argentina ripping away Mexico’s hope of being in the quarter-final of the World Cup 2010, by 1:30pm I was exhausted. I knew Commercial Drive would be filled with sad faces as there were a lot of Mexican fans watching the game at various pubs/restaurants on the Drive. So, I was glad to be heading away from Commercial Drive to Szechuan Chongqing Restaurant. Fierce name! Now try to pronounce it ten times. Only a few blocks from my house, I was happy to head in the opposite direction of Commercial Drive to dine with Jay (@jaycatalan), Shahab (@shahab604) and two other people who aren’t social media friendly.

The food was pretty good and was decently priced. They weren’t mind-blowing flavours leaving my taste buds screaming for more but it was good wholesome Sunday afternoon food with friends.

Szechuan Chongqing Restaurant - Mu Shu Pork

Szechuan Chongqing Restaurant - Mu Shu Pork

Szechuan Chongqing Restaurant - Salted fish & chicken fried rice

Szechuan Chongqing Restaurant - Salted fish & chicken fried rice

Szechuan Chongqing Restaurant - Sweet & sour pork

Szechuan Chongqing Restaurant - Sweet & sour pork

Szechuan Chongqing Restaurant - Boneless Chicken

Szechuan Chongqing Restaurant - Boneless Chicken

Szechuan Chongqing Restaurant - Shrimp & Scallop Dumpling

Szechuan Chongqing Restaurant - Shrimp & Scallop Dumpling

After eating, I thought I’d better walk off what I ate before I headed home to sit in front of a computer again.
Commercial Drive is going through a few transitions with old stores moving to different parts of the street and new stores coming into the neighbourhood. First up is Doctor Vigari, a fantastic store to get locally made and designed furniture, artwork and jewellery. It has now moved closer to 3rd and Commercial from Charles Street. It’s old neighbour, It’s All Fun & Games, also moved to the same block but only a few stores down.

Doctor Vigari

Doctor Vigari - Commercial Drive

It's all Fun & Games

It's all Fun & Games - Commercial Drive

The beauty about It’s all Fun & Games is because it is, well, ALL about fun and games. You can find any of your childhood toys – even the small toys soldier figurines – here.

It's All Game & Fun - Commercial Drive

It's all Fun & Games - Interior

It's All Game & Fun - Puzzle Games

It's all Fun & Games - Puzzle Games

It's All Game & Fun - Commercial Drive

It's all Fun & Games - Games & Toys

It's All Fun & Games - Figurines

It's all Fun & Games - Figurines

In the window of Barefoot Contessa was a cute t-shirt that said “Nerds need love too” which made me giggle a bit and want go back to buy it.

Barefoot Contessa - Nerds need love too t-shirt

Barefoot Contessa - Nerds need love too t-shirt

On my walk back home, I spotted a badass bike. I have no experience with bikes but at first glance I knew it was the kind that would make anyone look uber cool even just sitting on it. I’m tempted to photoshoping myself on the bike… hmmm.

Badass Bike - Commercial Drive

Badass Bike - Commercial Drive

Always on the lookout  for a few good books, I stopped into Bibliophile Bookstore because a Superman book with no title caught my eyes.

Bibliophile Books - Exterior

Bibliophile Books - Exterior

Bibliophile - Superman book

Bibliophile - Superman book with no title

Bibliophile - Interior

Bibliophile - Interior

Walking out empty handed, I stopped by Bone Rattle Music – simply because I haven’t been in there before. From kazoos to electric guitars to an unconventional guitar made from cigar boxes, this place had everything but the vuvuzela.

Bone Rattle Music - Exterior

Bone Rattle Music - Exterior

Bone Rattle Music - Interior

Bone Rattle Music - Interior

Bone Rattle Music - Kazoo

Bone Rattle Music - Kazoo

Bone Rattle Music - Cigar Box Guitar

Right next to Bone Rattle Music is Audiopile. A place where you can find vinyl record geeks hanging out all day. It’s an awesome place where I found classic vinyls such as Eazy-E, The Treacherous Three and N.W.A Greatest Hits.

Audiopile - Exterior

Audiopile - Exterior

Audiopile - Interior

Audiopile - Interior

Audiopile - Vinyl Heaven

Audiopile - Vinyl Heaven

Audiopile - N.W.A Greatest Hits

Audiopile - N.W.A Greatest Hits

Audiopile - Eazy-E

Audiopile - Eazy-E

At the corner of 5th and Commercial Drive are some pretty cool murals.

Commercial Drive Murals

Commercial Drive Murals

Commercial Drive Murals

Commercial Drive Murals

Commercial Drive Murals

Commercial Drive Murals

I have been meaning to take drumming lessons so I stopped by A Small World where they sell crafts from around the world and provide drumming circles.

A Small World - Craft store & drumming classes

A Small World - Craft store & drumming classes

A Small World - Drums

A Small World - Drums

Take a stroll in your neighborhood to appreciate all the uniquely different stores, cultures and arts it has to offer. I love Commercial Drive more today than I did yesterday and I didn’t even think that was possible! Forget taking big long extensive and expensive vacation, discover your own neighborhood first – that in itself is a wonderful adventure.

Posted via email from minna's posterous